Saturday, August 24, 2013

Five for Friday - 23rd August

The week has cycled around to Five for Friday again - that means Kacey's link up for Five for Friday.


This writing is from a student who has just started to read and write and is making up for lost time I think. He is doing an amazing job and is so proud of himself. Certainly showing stamina at word work time.


We had some people come into the school and we were able to look at pond life animals. It was so cool to capture them, look at them under magnifying glasses. Best of all the company is funded so that it is free to local schools.
 

 
Investigating chance and data - our new curriculum calls it Statistics and Probability. This is a game called -'Take a Chance', where you roll a dice and add a counter. We predict which number will be rolled more often. You can use a grid 1-6 or 1-12. I love my quite rolling mats, 22 dice been rolled can be loud! The dice must land on the mat too.
 
 
I have been shopping.....
 
I didn't have any books on bugs or ocean animals. What I was really after was Stellaluna as we are doing nocturnal animals this week! I guess I will have to hit the library. I have this funny thing about books - I want to own them, not borrow them.
 
 
 
 
How exciting - winter may be on the way out - I saw my first bulbs starting to flower yesterday. We have a long winter here in Ballarat and it will be cold for a while yet. I think these bulbs are a bit pretentious by trying to flower just yet.


6 comments:

  1. That is very exciting about your little guy! The pond life activity looks like a lot of fun. I am sure your students loved it!
    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I love doing hands on and inquiry learning.
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula! Thanks for following me. :) I am now following you too! I love your quiet rolling mats for dice! Those must make a huge difference. Quick question - how did you make/where did you get those cute FB, Pinterest, and Email Me hearts at the top of your right column? I would love to do something like that on my blog! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the rolling mats. The tabs/buttons come from Dreamlike Magic who designed my blog for me. I just clicked what I wanted and paid $5 each to have them match my blog.
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  3. The rolling mats are a great idea! I'll be borrowing that one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are that non slip placement stuff, cut into pieces.
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...