Sunday, September 1, 2013

Some randoms for this Sunday

Father's Day in Oz, Math Game Linky, Peek at My Week Linky

It is Father's Day in Australia and with two teenagers in the house - Sunday is a late start and on this day, there must be funny cards and a funny present as well as a serious thanks for their Dad.
My own Dad is 2000 km away, so I rang him earlier as they were going out for lunch.
I hope all the Dad's had a great day today.


Next - I am linking up with iSURF(c) for a Sunday Math Linkup. Head on over and join up and share a game you use.


This is a game we all play but need to use more often.
 I call it "What number is in my head?'

This game is great for place value and number facts.

Depending on what range of numbers your students are working on decide on a number - the kids like you to write it down and then go for the big reveal at the end!

It can be a whole number, a fraction, a mixed number, or a decimal.

The kids guess a number and you say higher or lower.

For young students use a counting frame and turn over the numbers as they are ruled out.

As they become used to the higher - lower concept and are more fluent - hand over the number choosing to a student. Then the fun begins.......

Next - I am linking up with Mrs Laffin's Laughings for a Peek at my Week


I am in for a busy week

Meetings this week
Monday - I meet with other coaches at 2.30 and our Principal to look at Professional Development and direction for our school. I teach Prep (five year olds - 4 days a week and also coach and I am eth Leading Teacher for curriculum). At 3,30 I meet with the Principal to discuss specific issues with Curriculum - just to make sure we are both aware of what I coming up.

Tuesday - 2.30 is when I coach the coaches  and at 3.30 is our staff meeting where I co lead the Maths Domain Meeting

Wednesday - 3.30 is our PLT - Professional Learning Team. This is our time to look at cohorts, track kids and develop joint plans for our how our learning space works. At 4.30 this week I will chair the Education Committee for School Council.

Thursday - I meet with our ICT (tech support) guys to ensure that our digital lives at school is going smoothly.

Before school Monday - Wednesday - Friday we have 5 minute briefings. In such a large school - 540 kids, this keeps us all in the loop and we also get to see everyone.

Teaching this week

We will be looking at animals that live in water - fresh and ocean animals.

On Wednesday I have a team of four teachers from another school visiting our Daily 5 session for ideas about systems and structures.

We are also getting ready for our big concert - it is a few short weeks. So a little practise will be order.

So by Friday I will be ready for a relaxing weekend - but that is not on the cards

Have a great week everyone

6 comments:

  1. "What Number is in my Head" sounds awesome! We used to do something like that with whole numbers and a 100 Chart. We would cross off the numbers that were eliminated on the 'overhead'. There! I just dated myself, right?
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have dated ourselves - but life is good
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  2. Oh my you do have a lot of meetings this week. Father's Day celebrations over for another year...phew. We spent the entire afternoon stretched out in the glorious spring sunshine at he water front. Oh that was after a mammoth feast of fish and chips. Mmm
    Julie
    Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been gorgeous and these are the moments we live for!
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  3. What a great math game! Thanks for sharing!

    I hope you had a great weekend! I start school on Tuesday...quite different from you who is getting ready for summer, right?

    Thanks for linking up Paula!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your link up - thanks for stopping by
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...