Saturday, October 5, 2013

Storybook Saturday - plus Daily 5 link up


Welcome to Storybook Saturday. Each Saturday, link up with me to share a story book you have read or are about to read this week.

There are not many rules but please abide by them

Post about the storybook you have read or are about to read.
Add the above graphic with a direct link back to Paula's Place
Link up by adding your post link to the link up below
No direct links to stores - only blog posts please
You may choose one book or a few books.
Here is are books for this week.

I know technically not storybooks - but necessary for us to have embedded in our classrooms so that children can enjoy storybooks.


So Daily 5 is the structure and Cafe is the rigour for our reading and writing program.

Link up your fav story book here and then keep reading below for Daily 5 on the 5th 












There are many many blog link ups around - but this one is about my fav topic (okay, okay well on of my many fav topics) so I just had to link up this month.

 This month's topic is "Word Work"

I so agree with Fowell that you mus read the Daily 5 book before you try to do any part of Daily 5 - there are explicit guidelines and strategies that you need to be aware of.

These photos are from earlier this year - as we on a two week break here in Australia.

Here is some word work - we all have a huge range in our classes, but Daily 5 is about best fit and is perfect for catering for this. 


 Some organisation ideas - the trolley houses our choices as well as the shelf. Our kids choose best fit.

This is an independent task that involves research and labelling - yes they are 5 years old and can research. Daily 5 makes very determined readers.

10 comments:

  1. I can't really take photos because I'm on break so will add to this later :)
    I am also really keen to find some Daily 5/CAFE based lessons using some favourite Australian picture books. All the picture books listed in the Sister's books are American and hard to source or inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you and I could get a list of these together
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
    2. Absolutely!
      The first one I would do would have to be Mem Fox "Where is Green Sheep?" I have read this book with my class many times because it's predictable and the pictures are helpful for the Fluency strategy of "practice common sight words and high-frequency words". PLUS, we learned the whole book in Auslan! The kids LOVED it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, and by inappropriate, I mean seasonal like Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - we need some Aussie ones - have you seen Christmas Wombat?
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's on my list to read this Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Hi Paula. Thanks for the comment about the best friend project - it is so much fun! Also, I was watching House Hunters International, and the couple was looking for a place on Australia's Gold Coast. It's beautiful! Is that near where you live? I think I need to go to China - to see pandas; and to Australia - to see your beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love checking your blog. I grew up on the Gold Coast and that is where my parents and siblings are. My little family are in Victoria - about 2000km away 1(200 miles)
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  4. Paula,
    I just found you linked up with Becca's Daily 5 linky! YAY! This is my favorite linky by far! You are absolutely right. Researching topics is so much fun, even for the youngest of readers, when you have the framework and support that Daily 5 offers. Thanks for sharing your teaching tips!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding me! I am off to check out your blog.
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...