Saturday, August 2, 2014

Five for Friday - 1st August


This week has been a slooooooowwwww week!

Here are my five randoms for this week


  


The above photo was taken by a staff member at school - thanks Vic for sharing
The ones below are taken from our local paper. 

 

 

We have the most crazy weather here. Most of you know I live in Australia and it is winter. In southern Australia we have had a severe cold front and many day starting with -2 Celsius - in Fahrenheit that is about 28 degrees.
We can get snow, but it does not happen very often at all. This snow drop stayed log enough to make the ground white.
Today we have ice on the roads and cars slipping and sliding. 

  

My dad had a birthday this week, number 76! I live about 2000km away (1200 miles) so it is difficult to be around for many special days other than the big ones like Christmas. 
My mum and dad spent a week at Coloundra on the Sunshine Coast. 

Photo: Happy birthday Gordon . Love you . Have a great day . Photo

My mum put together the collage of their grandchildren. My mum has the most amazing skills and when she doesn't know how to do something - she does a class. 
Happy Birthday Dad.



I had been working on this pack for K-1 and it includes color and each section also includes a 'save my ink' version. 

 

I do not cope when I am sick! Can't handle rest, can't handle my body saying no and not being able to do stuff. Even doing this post is energy draining and taking me so much longer than normal. 
I have had two days off work and won't be back until Tuesday as this shocking cough is a little catching for others. 
I am trying to isolate myself from my own family - I don't want any of them to get this. 
So go away cough.
Just an aside - I didn't know you shouldn't have more than 50 of those bad boys (butter menthols) in a 24 hour period.

 

This week I have also started my coaching role again. I am being released from teaching on Monday and will be working with my own team and another team on that day. Busy, busy, busy
This week we worked on SMART goals for our reviews. 

We (our State) have embarked on an over complicated, mammoth recording and evidence gathering procedure to measure the growth of all teachers. Our school and many others are trying to support staff through this. 

There are so many support documents for us to look at, there is even an app: but at the end of the day it is about proving we are working to improve outcomes for all students. For most teachers, this is what we do everyday. This stuff is going to get in the way and direct our energy away from what is our core business. There will be some positive spin offs and I will eagerly await these and will be happy to share. 

Our current government doesn't see struggling families, or kids with no breakfast, or kids with real stories behind them, or differences in teachers. They want private education and less teachers in the state system and single test scores to rule what should be a year of data gathering and growth. 

RANT OVER

4 comments:

  1. Oh Paula, did you have more than 50 buttermentols in 24 hours? That's a lot! What happened? LOVE the snow pictures, thanks for sharing! I love that you said "if she doesn't know how to do something, she does a class"!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing mum - yes. I was so close to 50 - my tongue went numb and I felt worse

      Delete
  2. Hope you're feeling better soon! I feel the pain over the SMART goals. We did some professional learning about them, but it's so frustrating that there are more and more hoops to jump through when we really just want to make the best learning place for our students.

    Jemima
    Luck's Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem, maybe SMART goals and helping so many staff to do them made me ill

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...