Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Reading Strategies - decoding with style


During my time as a teacher I have tried many ways to teach reading an dhow to decode words and meaning. 
I do have to say that the best way is using 'Cafe' as part of 'daily 5'.

SSSShhhhhh - don't tell anyone, but I was using 'Cafe' many years ago and had no idea that it was linked to 'daily 5' until about two years ago. You don't know what you don't know. 

              


So I had an ah-ha moment a few years back and it all made so much more sense. So the strategies within Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency and Expanding Vocabulary are very clear and supported by the information in the books by the 'two sisters'. 

But I was after a hook! Something that kids could identify with and use to manage how they handled reading when it didn't work and gave them excellent decoding strategies. 

So one day when I was losing myself in searching for graphics for something else I came upon these brilliant graphics for the posters I wanted to create. Lots of people have made similar posters - so they have been kicking around for a while. 

How do I use them?
I have introduced each poster individually. 
Modelling how they work using our big book or in shared book times. 
The posters are then placed on our wall to refer back to. 
Each child also has a copy that goes home with them. 
I have a small set contacted onto my guided reading table. 
We refer to them all the time. 
When I see a child using a strategy we name it, repeat it and share it with others. 
The kids love the pictures, love the fact that they are colourful, around the room and everywhere. 
I love that they name the strategy and are not just sounding out or looking to me to solve the word.
 It is one of the reason we have a large percentage of students who are reading one or two years above the expected level. 

If this is something you wanted to have a go at they are in my store - click here

You will not look back!

                

5 comments:

  1. Isn't Daily 5 the best?! I love teaching it. Found you through Farley's Currently and enjoying exploring your blog :) I wish it were raining where I live, but that doesn't happen very often. It's my favorite weather to snuggle up and watch a movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and exploring. I love Daily 5.
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  2. Your posters look great Paula! I love these reading strategies so much that I even purchased little animals to match each strategy. However, earlier this year my admin team decided that we weren't allowed to use these anymore and asked that we teach the names of the strategies without any visual supports ='( Devastated!!

    Casey
    Lifelong Learners in Prep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW I am on our leadership team and I couldn't imagine telling someone not to use a strategy that clearly works so well.
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  3. I would love t try that out some time. I have a slow child who needs to be lured to take an interest in reading. This has got me looking around for ways to make him take interest in learning. I seem to be getting somewhere with the fridge letters that somehow appeal to him. info@easylearnreading.com

    Regards
    Daniel Warren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...