Friday, August 9, 2013

Location, locaton, location

In our Mathematics session today I read this book - it is great for teaching/reinforcing location words.
 
We list the words and describe the path the bear takes.
 
Then in the middle of the room - blocks, lego, shapes, rods, cotton reels, anything really are laid out and the students make the path the bear took.
 
Out the window - down the tree - down the hill, around the lake, through the trees - under the bridge, between the rocks.....this is out of order as I don't have the book with me! 
 
They do this with a partner and are restricted to an A3 page.
 
When they have finished - we take photos.
 
Before we pack up - they draw the 3D map and talk about what each part is in relation to the story.
 
How amazing are their drawings of what they did?
 
Then the fun part - putting all the stuff away! A great time to sort our blocks.







4 comments:

  1. A great idea Paula. I have never done anything like this! I love blog learning.
    With thanks
    Julie :-)
    Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do as many hands on lessons as possible - they remember it more and we have so much fun as we learn too
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing, Paula!
    2 weeks ago I tried something similar. We read "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" and talked about the positional words. I also found a Guided Reader (RRL2)called My Little Dog, where the dog runs up a hill, across a bridge, and so on. THEN, I had a toy Paddington bear and made a house out of duplo for it and the kids practiced over, under and beside. My little girl who is deaf needed lots of reinforcement as we were teaching her the AUSLAN for these terms too.
    I love the follow up activity you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see photos. The follow up activity becomes part of their portfolio
      Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...